Winter Hair Tips to Keep Your Hair Healthy
When it's cold and windy outside and warm and dry inside, you need to be aware of winter hair tips to keep your hair in tip top shape! In the winter, you need to make some minor changes to your hair care routine to account for the elements that can mostly dry out or damage your hair.
You should be deep conditioning regularly and moisturizing. There are some winter hair styles that will keep damage from occurring and other ways to prevent winter hair loss.
Winter Hair Conditioning
Winter hair tips cannot be discussed without mentioning the power of keeping your hair conditioned.
- You're already conditioning regularly but are you deep conditioning?
- Are you using a moisturizing conditioner and keeping your hair covered with a plastic cap for 30 minutes? Nexxus Humectress and Kenra Moisturizing conditioner are good ones to try.
- More so, are you sitting under a warm hooded dryer for 15-25 minutes?
- That's the kind of conditioning I'm talking about. Because winter can be so drying to hair, make an extra effort to spend that extra 15-30 minutes deep conditioning your hair to keep it in tip top shape.
- Don't think that all you need to do is condition and then your work is done. Moisturizing is also important in the winter.
- Remember to also use a protein conditioner at least once a month to keep your hair strong.
Winter Hair Moisturizing
Since you are most likely not washing and conditioning your hair on a daily basis, you should moisturize it on a daily basis, especially during the winter. Winter is not the time for slacking.
- Use a light moisturizer throughout your strands before you put your hair up at night. Also use a light moisturizer on your ends. Your ends are extremely prone to dryness in the winter due to the wind, hats, and other abuse.
- To avoid some of this abuse, you should moisturize and try some "winter hair styles."
- You can also provide extra conditioning by your shampoos. After using a deep cleanser to get rid of products, follow that up with a rich moisturizing shampoo.
- Your scalp may also get dry during the winter so take a light oil like grape seed oil or jojoba oil and massage it into you scalp.
Winter Hair Styles
If there is a time for boring hair, winter is the time. I think winter is the perfect time for giving your hair a break from the abuse and free flowing days of summer by choosing styles that are up. By "up" I mean off your neck in a bun, French roll, or some other kind of up do.
Your winter hair style doesn't necessarily have to be boring though. There are lots of ways to dress up a bun including Chinese hair sticks with rhinestones, and fancy combs. Save wearing your hair down for special occasions or try to only wear your hair down a few days a week. Always have some Good Days Hair Pins on hand. They are an easy non-tangle way to put your hair up.
Wearing your hair up will also help keep it off the non-friendly fabrics of winter - wool and thick cotton sweaters that eat away at your hair.
Winter Hair Loss
When spring comes around, you don't want to suddenly realize that you have suffered from winter hair loss. Realizing in April that you need to cut off 2-3 inches of your hair because it's been damaged by wool sweaters is not any fun. Having broken pieces throughout your head is not all that great either. It certainly doesn't look pretty.
To avoid winter hair loss, condition, moisturize, and wear your hair up. When spring comes, you'll be amazed at how much your hair has grown and how much you get to keep!
Other Winter Tips
- During winter it may be easier to stretch your relaxers since you are not sweating.
- Remember to still get trims regularly.
- Whether your hair is relaxed or natural, you still need to condition and give your hair special care during the winter.
- Avoid using products with alcohol. Mix styling products with leave-in conditioner.
- Let your hair dry up to 80% before using a blow dryer to seal in additional moisture.
These are very basic winter hair tips but they are the most important ones. Pay attention to how your hair feels and treat it well. Be careful with your attire and outerwear. Keep the moisture balance in your hair constant. Don't ever let your hair be dry.
Knowing how to care for your hair during the winter season will keep your hair beautiful for springtime.